Monday, September 23, 2013

Week of 9/16/13

This past week has been all about stoichiometry. Stoichiometry is the study of numbers in chemical equations.
So the past week was spent doing various combinations of finding limiting reactants, finding masses of reactants and products. Generally, in the problems we've worked on, one reactant is in excess and one is limited. In the real world, this is often the case, because having an excess of one (usually very common) reactant makes the reaction go faster.



We also messed with empirical formulas, the simplification of a chemical formula, Thus making C6H3 into C2H. Empirical Formulas are for finding the simplest isomer of a molecule. However, this does not mean C6H3 is the same as C2H, or that they share similar properties, but it does mean these elements have the same ratio of masses. In order to find an empirical formula, you must first find the molecular ratios of your chemical reaction. Then you simply reduce and simplify your equation as much as possible.

Yield was a simple matter. Given a chemical equation, an unlimited amount of one reactant, and a certain amount of a different reactant, you should be able to figure out how much of the products you are able to make. However, you should also know how to find the reactants when given the yield (products).

Finding mole ratios was harder for me. You use a mole ratio diagram to convert the reactants and their coefficients to masses, and then use those masses to find the mass of a product. You don’t need to deal with Avagadro’s number, but the method provided is a little complicated.

This past week hasn't been too hard for me, but I feel that I might have missed some details for not paying enough attention in class. We did a lot of POGIL activities, and I have very smart people in my group to help me when I don't get something. Mole ratios with "the bridge thing" especially went over my head. So I know what to study here. We also have a test this Thursday, so I have to hit the books pretty hard.

...At least it's not String Theory.


No comments:

Post a Comment