Monday, October 28, 2013

Week of 10/21/2013

Ions and metals and moles, oh my.

This week we covered a little about ionic and metallic bonding. That was the only new content covered this week, because we had a test over unit 2, and a pretest over the whole course next.

We started Monday with review for Tuesday's test over unit two. The test was simple enough. It was fairly well done as long you knew the basic concepts. I didn't understand formal charges and resonance until a few days before the test. I didn't do as well as I wanted to, so hopefully I'll study more for the next test.




Wednesday was mole day, 10/23. A celebration with cookies and mediocre mole puns.

Q: On which American mountain was Avogadro's face carved in stone?
A: Mount Rushmole 

Q: How would you describe Avogadro's room while he was a teenager?
A: A Molar mess 

Q: What are mammoles?
A: Four-legged animoles 

Q: What area did Avogadro explore?
A: The South Mole 

Q: What did Avogadro call his church service?
A: Molar Mass 

Q: How did Avogadro get through the desert?
A: He rode on a camole 

Q: What are school holidays for mole students?
A: Mole Day, October 23 and Mole-oween 

Q: What line from Shakespeare do high school moles have to memorize?
A: "To mole or not to mole, this is the question." 

Q: What sugar do moles prefer?
A: Mole-tose 

Q: How much does Avogadro exaggerate?
A: He makes mountains out of mole hills 

Q: What element do moles love to study in chemistry?
A: Molybdenum 

Q: What are moles made of?
A: Molecules 

Q: What kind of make-up does the mole wear on his eyelashes?
A: Molescara 

Q: What happens when a mole bites a dog?
A: He becomes Moleicious! 

Q: What is a mole's favorite soup?
A: Molestrone 

Q: What did the mole say to the cow?
A: Molek does a body good! 


Thursday we took a pretest on all of AP Chemistry. I was the only one in my table group who tried, and people asked me why. Apparently using a pretest to determine how much more you need to learn is a sin. However, I can't ever look at that pretest to see what I got wrong, so maybe it WAS pointless.

Friday we worked on an ionic bonding POGIL. Ionic bonding is simple, it's between a metal cation and nonmetal anion. However, metals often have different charges than nonmetals, so I have to make sure they balance properly.



Metallic bonding is special because when metal atoms bond, their electrons can move freely throughout the entire structure (The Electron Sea Model). This is why metal can ground you and hold a charge.


I did fairly well this week, but my retention of information is lacking, as shown by the test. Last minute studying does not work for me. I must become familiar with a subject before cramming it in.

(Here's your Halloween theme Dr. Evil)

No comments:

Post a Comment