Monday, September 30, 2013

Week of 9/23/13


Back to the blog.

This week was a test week in all but one of my classes, so I didn’t study for the Chem test as well as I should have (excuses, excuses). The test was on everything I covered in the last blog post, so I won’t go over it again.

However, there were some HotPot quizzes provided by the good doctor, and next time I should actually do them. Apparently there was a small correlation between people who studied with those quizzes and people who did well. 

(I’m not seeing it) 


Studying is something I've never been good at, and I've trained myself to learn and retain the knowledge the first time to make up for that. However, when I fail to do that I end up with a horrible score (it’s always hit-or-miss). Mr.Oleksinski will tell you all about it. I intend to study ahead for this next unit.

After the test, we started on the bonding unit. Lewis Dot Structures are the first thing we’re working on. Lewis dot structures (named for Gilbert N. Lewis) are simply a way to draw a molecule with it’s bonds, representing valence electrons with dots and two valence electrons as a line (if two atoms connect with it).


If you want to draw a Lewis Dot Structure, put the more electronegative ion in the center. You then make sure that the ions you’re putting on the outsides have eight valence electrons, unless they can be stable with less. 

We've only just started the bonding unit so I can't (officially) tell you more. Sorry.


No comments:

Post a Comment